Monday, May 24, 2010

One Nibble at a Time!

May 21- 10 weeks and one day after surgery Brad can again open his mouth, well kinda....

We went to Ann Arbor for a follow up appt. At the last one they told us they would either take everything off, leave it how it is, or put looser bands during this visit. We were hopeful but also realistic- Dr. Mayo was not sounding promising.

Wrinkled scrubs intern spoke with us first. He was all set to put looser bands on but in came Dr. Mayo- No, no leave him be it isn't 10 weeks yet. Oh but sorry it is- I had to jump in there for my baby and talk dates. When it was agreed we were past 10 weeks Dr. Mayo agreed! YAY for fighting dates!!!

When the bands came off, I wasn't sure what to expect from Brad. I was thinking either his mouth was just going to fall open because everything was stretched and he couldn't control it or everything would be "locked" shut. I was leaning significantly  towards the latter which was correct.

He tried and tried but he could only open a few centimeters. He could barely stick his tongue out. But it is out- no more asking other people to lick envelopes for him! Brad said he felt like his mouth was open wide but he just couldn't get it any further.

So now he has 2 bands in the back on each side and 2 for the front only to be worn at night. Well he can leave them on during the day but he doesn't have to.

Food-oh wonderful food, Brad has missed you horribly. Everyone has been asking what he will eat when he can open his mouth- they all had high hopes for him. Apparently they forgot about the jaw sawing part and focused only on the wiring shut. Pain people, he is going to be in pain! Cheeseburgers, Subs, pizza, Chinese....so not happening on day one.

We just so happen to have no food in the house because our fridge is on the fritz. So I told Brad he should stop at the grocery store and we will wander around looking for something we think he can eat. Brad is apparently stuck in toddler world because for some reason he is thinking PB and J is the best bet. Really? PB? and a sandwich? No way! He is thinking he can nibble it like a little mouse. I'm thinking he needs something cut up into teeny tiny little pieces and then just push those in, roll them around for flavor , and swallow. There will be no tearing/nibbling or chewing today. I'm certain of it. But Brad is not giving up on his food quest. He wants real food!

I mention perhaps a McD cheeseburger- meat only cut into teeny pieces. Alright, maybe McD's doesn't qualify as real food but whatever! A quick trip to McD's then we are on our way to his parents house to pick up our son. I try to cut the burger but Brad is sure he can bite it. Alright, just so you are grasping what I am seeing open your mouth just wide enough to get the tip of your tongue out- now do you think you can bite a burger successfully? Sorry honey but as hard as you try it isn't going to happen!

He did get a little nibble of bun- a nibble, I think a mouse could have taken a bigger bite!


Discouraged he gives up. I make him try my way- an itty bitty piece of burger. His dad was cracking up at me cutting this tiny chunk for him but come on we all know babies don't just jump right to solid foods, nope they step up gradually 1's to 2's to 3's and on to table food. Brad just got done with 1's he needs to work on 2's before he gets to table food!

He got the little nibble in but had trouble swallowing it. So he then decided to move on to fries. He barely fit a fry in but then had to try to bite a section off... not working. So Brad's dad got to enjoy a cheeseburger and fries.

Brad was discouraged. I tried to tell him that he was just trying too hard of foods but I didn't have a chance to experiment for him becasue he was soon off to camp with our oldest.  Yep, Brad's first few days of maybe being able to eat and he is stuck with camp food. We are guessing that won't work so he was sent off with soup and a blender just in case.

To my surprise the next morning while at camp Brad ate scrambled eggs and oatmeal (foods I had recommended- man I am ALWAYS right!) At lunch he somehow ate a sub. He ripped it up and shoved it in little piece by little piece. I'm not sure on the definition of sub, frankly I'm not believing it- I need  to see a photo!

Sunday when they returned we went out for lunch- well breakfast for lunch- Big Boy Breakfast Buffet. It was so nice to go out not worrying about if they have a soup that will blend well, if they have a blender, etc... Eating with Brad did take a L-O-N-G time. I think he ate for about 30 mins after the rest of us finished but I didn't mind- just so excited for him! He stuck with safe foods- scrambled eggs, soft potatoes, a biscuit... One downside to eating real food- Brad still has no feeling in his lower lip- so I do have to tell him occasionally when he has " a little egg on his face" ya know when it is actually egg and not just me being right again, as always...

By Sunday evening I could tell he was opening his mouth a bit further. It isn't that much more but every millimeter counts! His jaw is a little sore from finally being moved but he just has to work through that. Open, shut, open shut... can't you see him doing these exercises at his desk? Physical therapy can be help at a buffet! I personally think that is the perfect location- I'm sure Brad does too. Oh wait! I want him to keep those 30 some pounds off.

Anyways, he is still eating soups because it is just easier on his jaws and is much less of a mess then ripping things and shoving them in, but they don't have to be blended anymore. He is also continues to work on solid foods because frankly- wouldn't you after 10 weeks of liquids only.

No comments:

Post a Comment