Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Will the Defendant Please Rise

"Mom, where is my Tech Deck."
"Gone."
"What?!! Where? Why?"

Guilt, I am feeling mommy guilt. The kids are starting to notice that toys are missing. I was really really hoping they just had so much they'd forgotten what all they had. Nope, not Levi at least. Wyatt, well he will remember months from now and then NEVER forget. He is so my child, he holds a grudge. (note to self, don't cross Becky)

Now I feel like I have done to my children what my parents did to me, ya know the whole scarred me for life by getting rid of all my toys one day thing. But all parents have to do something scarring right? Maybe I should just let this one go and mark it as my "sent my kids to therapy for life" moment?

I really, really, really- did I say really?- don't want any more toys brought back in. I've racked my brain trying to think about what I've seen them play with on a regular basis and not much comes to mind other then what I've kept and video games. I believe they just think they are missing a toy but they don't really want it- just like the idea of having it. But what if I am wrong and I have really taken away something of value to them? You'd think they would have noticed right off the bat right?


I've been trying to come up with a solution. How do I make them feel like they have some say in what they get rid of but really they don't.... hmmmm, manipulating the tiny humans, it can't be that hard can it? I've thought about bribery- if you let these toys go and don't get upset I'll buy you this video game you want, we will make a family trip to Splash Village, ya know pull out the good stuff.... Part of me is very against that though- seems like rewarding them for being slobs? Here get your room so messy I have to come in and clean it for you, then YOU get a reward. Ah, my mind wanders through so many scenarios.

I think I have come up with a solution. Tomorrow I will tell the children my plan and we will see if it works great or blows up in my face. The master plan- I will ask them if there is any one toy that is gone that they would really like back. Then they have to write me a letter telling me which toy, why they want it back, and how they will store it. They will have to locate a free space and come up with a plan- should it be in a tub, can it sit on the shelf without a container, etc... Hopefully this way they are really thinking about what toy it is they want and "fighting" for it. Bonus, I get some writing and math work in there too!

Seems like a good plan to me, I mean how could it not be? Genius me came up with it!



I think perhaps we will even have a little family court and decide if the plan and reason to keep desired toy is justified. Your toy is currently locked up for disorderly conduct. Can you defend it? Or am I just creating little lawyers who can win arguments as well as their mama? Ah well, they won't reach my level anytime soon- and frankly learning just how to argue has served me well in life- so yep, another skill they need.

No comments:

Post a Comment