Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Thank you Dora

Thank you Dora for teaching my daughter Spanish. And also Dora, thanks for teaching her that yelling words at things makes it happen.



I'm in the car with Lucy. We park and I hear "Ah-Brae, AH-BRAE. Errrrr... I said AH-BREA!" coming from the back seat. There is Lucy trying to unfasten her seat belt. She is just yelling at it. I recognize what she is saying as Spanish. Lord knows I have seen Dora enough to recognize the words she teaches, but I'm not quite sure what Ah-brae means, or obviously how to spell it....I'm guessing open but just not sure.

Luckily Wyatt is with me. He remembers near everything. Without a second thought he tells me, "mom that means open." But in the wow you are such an idiot how do you not know this, I mean come on a 2 year old does, kinda way. Thanks Wyatt, thanks....

So then when I got home what did I have to do- I had to see if Mr and Miss Smarty Pants were correct.... I've decided they are. I Google translated open and one of the options is "abrir" which is similar to Ah-Brae right? I mean look at that spelling I got the "A", a "B" and even an "R" in there!

Once upon a time I knew Spanish. But guess what, it left my brain along with a whole bunch of other stuff. Well maybe it is still there but just pushed back by all the other useless information I choose to retain.

Ah well, I think maybe next time I am at the store I'll yell Abrir at the door to see if it opens...oh wait bad choice, most doors do just open...okay, I'll make sure I am not at an automatic door and then start yelling. I'm guessing at some point someone will open the door right? So thank you Dora, thanks for a new way to open doors without having to touch them. And if I see some alligators in my path or barrels rolling towards me I'll make sure to yell "SALTAR" so I can jump over them. Oh and if someone tries to steal from me, I'll tell them no 3 times, that 3rd time is the charm! Oh Man!

No comments:

Post a Comment