Wednesday, May 19, 2010

A Simpler Life

For quite sometime I have been bothered with how my home life is going... not what I do but more like how it is done.



I want a simpler life. I think it is attainable. Just getting there is confusing. But I am done with the waiting around like it will magically happen without any effort on my part. Ah, good-bye sweet delusions, I'll miss you! So now I'm working on making changes and getting Brad on board with me.


Brad actually is a big part in my putting it off and my starting our family changes. Before surgery he was tired ALL the time. Getting him to do anything around the house was just such a pain I'd give up verses trying to get him to help out more. But now he is sleep apnea free and I'm accepting no excuses! I warned him his "Honey Do List" was going to be long, I wasn't joking!

So what do I want? Well, I want a clutter free life. I seriously want everything to have a place and everything in it's place. I want kids that play outside. I want my kids to respect me more and do what I say when I say it not after begging, complaining, bartering, and taking tone with me. I want them to do more chores, I'm sick of everything being on me and then the ungratefulness for all I do. I also want the kids to learn the value of things. They seem to have everything and are so ungrateful for it. This ungratefulness then leads to them leaving everything everywhere not taken care of, nothing has importance. Things are about to change!

I'm not sure how I am going to accomplish my goals but I think it starts with decluttering our lives. No more toys shoved in every spot possible, a reasonable amount of clothing for each person, not keeping things "just in case"... I don't think it will all fall into place once the house is completely under control but I really think it will help.

One problem- I don't like schedules, I don't want our days planned out to the minute I enjoy sleeping in, running to the park on a nice day, lunches with friends, etc but I'm going to have to come up with something so the kids know what it is they have to do and when it must be done by. I think this would help with their "shock" when I tell them to do something and disrupt their lives like the mean mother I am!

Another problem is what to do with all the stuff I am about to purge our lives of? I hate doing garage sales all the pricing, sorting, setting up, the people who argue about prices... I just want to donate it all and write it off BUT then I think making a little extra cash would be a nice reward for all of our hard work. I feel bad for just wanting to get rid of the stuff like it is wasteful so I have to keep reminding myself I am not the one who has wasted money on it. All of our junk is from my mom. She cannot control herself no matter what I tell her.

So this will be a summer of change and learning for our family. I am hoping all for the better. I plan on blogging out all our new found strategies working or not. I can't be the only one in this boat. Maybe I can help you and you can help me.

My goal is by summers end we are on the path I am hoping for!

1 comment:

  1. I feel ya on so many levels.

    The garage sale stuff is a PITA.
    You should dump that stuff at a consignment store. They do the work for you and you get a little cash. If it doesn't sell, they haul it to be donated.. kind of win/win.

    ReplyDelete