Thursday, April 29, 2010

A Bit-O-Pack-Rat

Why do we continue to buy our children toys? Why oh why? We all know they prefer things like boxes or bubble wrap so much more!

I actually don't buy my kids toys, other then at Christmas and their birthday. And even on those occasions I keep it to a minimum. My kids only get one *gasp* ONE gift from us on their birthday. If they happen to want a couple cheaper things then that will happen but the norm is one good gift.

Yet, my house is jam packed, burtsing at the seams, full of T-O-Y-S!!!

My mother... the reason for my toy problem is my mother. She buy them toys for every holiday, St. Patricks day, Valentines day, heck she could find a reason to give gifts for presidents day ( I am not joking here). And no, it isn't one gift, it is a garbage bags worth for each kid. So that is times 3 here at our house, 3 garbage bags full of pretty much just that, garbage, dropped off monthly. I don't know why I don't just take it to the road. Well I do, I feel bad.

I wish she would stop wasting her money. I wish even more that I could come to grips with this as her loss not mine and I don't have to hold on to junk just because she chose to buy it. I was raised by a hoarder here people. I am FAR from her but her crazy logic was pumped into my brain day in and day out through my formidable years!!! I may need to undergo hypnosis or something (insert sarcastic tone here)!

A lot of times I can grab stuff and stick it aside to take back, re-gift (yep I said it), craigslist it, or donate. But even that is a pain. It requires organizing and making time to take it somewhere, posting, etc... I'm a quick and easy kinda person, I like everything to be quick and easy! Did I mention QUICK and EASY?

I have this plan of having one of those super clean organized homes, all fresh and clean ready for a commercial to be shot in it at any moment. I know I have 3 kids, but I really don't find it unrealistic to have a clean home.

I was raised in chaos, maybe that is why I long for organization. However, I am lacking the organizing skills it seems, or maybe it is just the proper motivation. I want it but do I really want it bad enough?

I do. I really do. I don't want to have even one room in my house that I am embarrassed for people to see, basement included because frankly the basement is my biggest issue. I don't want daily battles with the kids. I want everything to have a place and everything in its place.

I'm not looking for a spotless 24/7, museum type house. Just one that is easy to clean up after. I mean if something is being played with then by all means make a mess with it, enjoy it. But afterward, pick the dang mess up!  If there were less, this process would be simpler, or at least in my mind it would be.

I think if the kids had less they would be happier. They would enjoy the things they do have more and actually play with some of their toys. Now it seems as though the toys hit the floor but I don't see any actual playing with them. Plus, how ungrateful are they becoming. Too much, they are given too much.



So over the summer my intention is to have a clutter revolution at my house. I refuse to store toys for the next kid to play with or to rotate out. I'm not starting a give away pile and waiting until it is overflowing or the kids have began picking things out of it to take it somewhere. I also have a habit of thinking,, oh I'll sell this on Craigslist or something. But do I, nope. People there always wasting my time anyways.

Perhaps I'll have a garage sale. Maybe I'll have a come just take my junk give away for my friends and random people driving by. I don't know. I need to come up with a plan. But it will go. It MUST go.

Explaining this to the kids, that seems tough. I've been making comments here and there mentioning we need to get rid of toys and if there is something they don't want they should please give it to me to find a new home for. But what do they give me, oh one broken something that just needs to go in the trash anyways. I guess it is a start right?

Brad is also going to have a hard time with my clutter revolution. He is a bit-o-pack-rat. (You find those in the computer nerd aisle, not the candy aisle in case you are wondering) But guess what Brad, no more sleep apnea! No reason you are far too tired after work or on weekends to be included in my revolution. You sir, are second in command so hop on your horse and get to the battle!

So here is me telling all of you that by the end of summer my house WILL be clutter free. It will! One of my wonderful characteristics that make me who I am is that I do not fail, ever, for any reason within my control. So unless something terrible happens or we end up on a summer vaction to a beautiful island I will be working on my house!

And lucky for all of you, I think some humorous blogs should emerge from this endeavor...

No comments:

Post a Comment