Friday, April 2, 2010

Complaints and How We Deal

The complaints and how we deal-


Swelling- we found that 1/2 a dose of motrin every 3 hours keeps the swelling down better then a full dose every 6. Granted drugging every 3 hours is a pain in the butt! Also, a warm rice bag applied to the face.

Drooling- Keeping in a reclined position, bringing a wash cloth or hand towel every where you go. We read about people carrying a cup to spit in, Brad hasn't wanted to do this but he spits in the sink constanatly when he is up walking around.

Pain- staggering two pain meds, heated rice bag. Keeping up on meds- not waiting until the pain comes to take it. Once you are in pain it is harder to get rid of it.

Ear Pain and Shooting Nerve Regeneration Pain- We are having a hard time finding relief of these pains. He is taking motrin and occasionally Oxycodone if it is really bad but it seems as though they are pains he just has to deal with. I try to remind him the nerve pain is a good sign that feeling will return.

Boredom- Well we have a TV in our room with streaming Netflix, cable, and an XBox 360. We also have wireless internet and a lap top!

Depression- I personally keep telling Brad how cute he is. Right off the bat I could tell he was depressed about how he looked, calling himself a monster. As the swelling has subsided I have just had cute names for him. First he was a cute fat kid, then a cute lil squirrel, now he is the joker...ok so maybe they aren't all cutesy nice but it is how our relationship works and he knows it- only true love can make fun of you!

Really depression is something I have been worried about and have been trying to keep at bay. I have tried to get him out of bed even when he doesn't want to. Every day I open the blinds. I make sure the kids don't completely ignore him. His friends and family have been over to visit. Change up his meals so he doesn't feel like he has to drink the same gross thing every day for the rest of his life (he doesn't see this no eating thing ending anytime soon so to him it is forever!)

Pain From Wires- keeping his mouth clean with the Rx rinse and salt water and Dental Wax placed on the extra bothersome wires.

Teeth Cleaning- I had to help with this in the beginning. I'd use Q-tips, toothpicks, and a child size tooth brush. Now he takes care of most of it with his mouth rinses and the small tooth brush.

Broken Band Replacement- The Hospital gave us scissor like tweezers, I use those and a Q-tip. The second utensil helps slip it around the hook easier. Brad also holds his lips up for me. This is still hard to do because it hurts to move his lips to high or low.

Eating- We moved the tube insertion point to the front of his teeth instead of the back of his mouth, this is quicker and also saves bands from breaking. The syringes the hospital provided last about 2 days after being rinsed after every use but then the plastic expands/retracts and you just can't use them easily. Diplomat sells the 60ml syringes for $1 each. I found a cup I was thinking might be very useful ( if you can stick the tube in the front of your mouth like Brad- well you might be able to attach a tube) It is a squeeze bottle made for filling communion cups- Squeeze cup link

At week Three Brad discovered he can drink from a cup. A small rimmed cup works well. He has to hold his bottom lip up but wow eating is so much faster!

and now to my complaints....

Constant Blending- Man I hate washing that Blender! What a PITA! So I borrowed a blender from a friend so I have 2. I also spent a day blending about 20 meals worth of food. That way I could just rinse the blender in between blends. I put one serving in a zip lock then laid them flat to freeze. I also have been buying baby food. Ones and Twos do not have to be blended just mixed with juice, water, milk, gravy...and warmed.

Feeding- One of Brad's friends bought Brad a tray and a bell- both have been very handy. The tray is wonderful for carrying meals to and from the kitchen. I serve everything in cups, sometimes soup in a large bowl. The bell as annoying as it can be, is a great way to know when Brad needs something and I am not close by since he can't really yell for me.

I also pulled a shelving unit out of my garage to store all Brad's new foods on. That way they are all in one place for me to look over and find somethign for him to eat. Plus I don't have room in my cupboards for all the cans of soup and baby food. I tried to talk a few friends into rearranging my cupboards for me so all of  it could fit... couldn't sell them on it- bummer!

Drugging- I keep a notebook on a tray with his drugs. At the top is the drugs, dosage, and hours between. Then I write the times I administer it. I also have a timer on the tray so as soon as I give him the meds I reset the timer for the next dosage. During the night I load up the next dose into the syringe so it is less work in the middle of the night.

Sleeping- Oh so sleep deprived, really like I have a newborn. I just try to sleep whenever I can because there is no sleeping for longer then 3 hours in a row around here for me! I bought a new movie for the kids so I could nap on the couch while they watched it. Pulled out some old/new toys from the basement to entertain them.

The Moaning in Pain- Oh I just try to make it stop the best I can and try not to let it annoy me. Back rubs, encouraging him, and then ya know that thing that heals all men and takes their mind off of pain (wink wink).

Stress- I've had people helping me out with the kids, I've definitely needed it. I happen to have a Rx for Xanax from a heart condition I have so I've taken a few of those. Brad has still taken time to care for me when he can. Last night he rubbed my back until I fell asleep. Sometimes even when I need to sleep I go downstairs when everyone else is sleeping and just have a little alone time. My friends and church made us dinner for the first two weeks home. Not having to worry about cooking dinner or grocery shopping was spectacular! If you don't have a support system like this I recommend freezing some meals for the rest of your family. I recommend blending meals prior to surgery for your partner as well. I decided my house doesn't have to be as clean as it always is. It isn't dirty gross but it isn't as kept up as I usually like it. Don't be afraid or ashamed to ask for help. And have an outlet. I know I can't complain to Brad and don't want to, I don't want him to feel any worse so my friends have been great at listening to me when I need to whine.

No comments:

Post a Comment