Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Ode to the Blue Box

Mac n Cheese so cheesy and yummy oh how I love thee. Let me count the ways.....



My love affair with Mac n Cheese began, hmmm probably 29 years ago, though I can't be certain. But it has to be the blue box, no others will do, Kraft you have my heart! You would think I'd be tired of this dish but no, I still love it just as much now as I did then. It however doesn't love me back. No, now it makes me fat and raises my cholesterol. Still can I part with my dear friend? No, I cannot.

I mean how can you not like it? Noodles. Yum! Cheese.Yum! (well imitation cheese powder, whatever, same thing! Still yum!)Mix those together, add butter and milk- YUM!

Mac n Cheese was my saving grace as a child, I would have starved without it. I was a horribly picky eater for one. Secondly, no one ever made me dinner. It was kinda just fend for yourself at my house. At six years old I could make my own Mac, boil water, drain, and all. Back then I was a stickler for exact measurements. I followed the directions to a "T." Six cups of water exactly was brought to a boil. Do you even know the directions call for 6 cups of water, probably not, like that matters. I was even anal about how you sprinkled the cheese packet in. In case you are wondering, because this is such an important topic, I had to be stirring as I slowly sprinkled the cheese in. No clumps of any kind. I guess I just wasn't as efficient of a stirrer as I am now.

And here is the tear jerky part of my blog, well maybe for you, it was my normal so it didn't bother me as much growing up as you'd think it would. Mac was also a safe food. I grew up with a hoarder. Yep, like the ones you see on those shows. One of her favorite things to hoard- food. So pretty much all the food in our house had bugs in it. But, I knew that Mac n Cheese was "safe." I ate it fast enough it couldn't sit in the cupboard. Plus when you dump the noodles in the water you knew right off the bat if there was bugs in it. This is a skill no child should have. But I survived, thanks to Mac n cheese, oh and Hot Pockets too, ya know for protein, instead of bugs. They are high in protein right? lol!

Mac n Cheese has stood by me through every phase of my life, the little hungry picky kid, the broke on her own girl, the pregnant woman who needed a 2am fix, the mom in need of a meal the kids would eat without complaints...Well, I do have one weirdo kid, who can't possibly be mine. This child actually cries if I'd make him eat Mac n Cheese. Something is seriously wrong with him, we will seek counseling!

No comments:

Post a Comment