Thursday, April 1, 2010

The Cheeseburger Has It Out For Me

Today I had the bright idea to cook a bunch of meals for Brad and freeze them in zip lock bags. Sure it sounds easy...lets just say by the end of the day seriously took a Xanax. I began cooking at about 3pm I finished and had everything cleaned up by 8. I did get about 18 meals out of it.

Last week one of my friends made us lasagna. Brad said he wanted some so I blended it up and he really liked it. So Lasagna that is easy enough. I made all the parts and was about to put it all together and bake it when I thought hmmmm, I can probably skip that part. I just mixed it all together, blended adding milk to thin it out. I found the noodles were not blending well so I left those out. As I blended I strained and poured everything into a pitcher. I wanted the whole lasagna in one spot all blended so I knew it was mixed just right. Straining was a PITA but I managed. One of my friends lent me a metal strainer. Very handy. My advise- bake the lasagna. Brad said it didn't taste as lasagna-y as the baked one had- I'm thinking that made the difference, the baked cheese, the sauce soaking into the noodles....

 Next I made a pizza recipe I found online- very easy! He says it tastes just like pizza too! 1 slice of bread, 1 slices of American cheese, 1/2 cup of pizza sauce, 1/2 water, and your choice of toppings. I went with peperoni and I chopped it with my handy dandy pampered chef chopper. Then blend on liquify.


And no for my Xanax needing recipe. Cheeseburger Chowder. Here is a link to the website I found the recipe along with a few others.

The recipe isn't hard...it was the blending t hat got me.

Brown ½ pound of ground beef and ½ onion. Drain grease, move to a large pot. Add 2 quarts water, 2 packs or cubes of beef bouillon, and 2 diced potatoes. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes. Add 1 can of diced tomatoes and bring to a boil again.

Using a wire whisk, mix 1 cup of flour with 3 cups of half and half milk. Mix until the flour is completely dissolved. Gradually start to pour this mixture into the beef mixture. Reduce the heat and continue to stir as the mixture boils. Add one cup of cheddar cheese and heat until melted.

You may have to scoop out the thicker parts of this chowder and blend them separate from the liquid in order to get the consistency thin enough.

On to the blending part. I couldn't pour it from the pan into my blender, that would end badly (as if my way didn't lol) so I poured it into a smaller bowl and from that bowl into the blender. Holy dirty dishes Batman!

Here is where the trouble begins. I did not fill the blender all the way up, I put the lid on, and I hit the button- SPLOOSH! I am covered in boiling hot chowder as is my entire kitchen. I think my daughter heard some choice words as my hands were burned trying to shut it off. So I clean this thick mess up and start over with much less in the blender. Hit the button OH YOU HAVE TO BE KIDDING ME SPLOOSH!



Here is the problem, if you don't already know....when you blend hot things you have to pull that center cap out of the lid and just hold a towel over. Who knows this, I obviously did not read the instructions that came with the blender or watched enough cooking shows. I found this out after I called one of my friends needing to be talked down off the roof.

So the explosion problem is fixed, but oh the cleaning.

As I blended everything I put it into a new bowl. I found that as I was putting the chowder in the blender the meat stayed in the pan so I needed to make sure I got some blended meat in with all the previous blends.

Many dirty dishes later I put all of these meals in 2 cup servings in zip lock bags making sure to write the date and food on the outside.

The cheeseburger chowder really was trying to make me insane because as I was loading it in my freezer one of the bags dropped and of course it had to come open and leak UNDER my stove. Then when I served it to my husband I told him he better pretend like it is the best thing he has ever eaten/drank after my evening. Well then his syringe wouldn't suck it up- We can not figure it out. It is not too think, the syringe is in working order, idk, the cheese burger has it out for me.



Baby food mixed with water/ juice/milk/gravy so much easier. I think what he doesn't know won't kill him!

No comments:

Post a Comment